Eyman has the expertise to service your steam or hot water boiler systems. The experience we have gained and the relationships we have established are a contributing factor in our success. Let Eyman help you get your boiler ready for winter. To find out more about radiant and geo-thermal heat, click here.
Top 5 Concerns About Boilers:
1. Some of the house’s radiation is not heating – what’s wrong?
- Your system could be low on water. Adding water may help.
- It’s also possible your pump isn’t circulating.
- If you have a steam system, it could be a faulty trap or the supply valve may be turned off.
2. Why is my boiler so noisy?
- If you have a steam boiler, it may be overfilled, which causes something called “water hammer.” When steam hits the water, it sounds like someone hitting the pipes with a sledgehammer.
- But if you have a hot water boiler, your concern might be a faulty pump or broken pump coupler.
3. How efficient is my boiler?
People are sometimes told boilers are obsolete. But the Eymans say boilers are quite efficient because they warm objects, not just the air. A boiler’s efficiency depends a lot on its age.
- At the start of the 20th century, boilers are about 60% efficient.
- During the 1950s through the 1970s, boilers increased in efficiency to about 70%.
- Boilers from the 1980s to the turn of the century run about 80% efficient.
- Over the past 20 years, condensing boilers have reached about 98% efficiency.
4. How much does it cost to replace a boiler?
Eyman replaces old boilers with new ones, but often can retain the old system so radiators stay in place.
- If you have a boiler and live on Omaha’s east side, you probably have a cast iron upright unit.
- If you live in District 66, you likely would have baseboard radiation, which is common on the East Coast.
5. Do you have to be licensed to install a boiler?
In the City of Omaha, you must be licensed. You also have to be strong. Eyman’s teams of two to three guys have to heft boiler pieces that weigh between 500 to 800 pounds.
Fast facts about boilers
|Steam boilers make steam heat and release it through radiators. Most apartments or historic homes have these types of systems.|
|There are boilers where the entire system is full of water, which the boiler heats and circulates. Today’s new installations typically are hot water boilers with radiant flooring.|
|The busiest time for the Eyman Boiler Department is October through February. Their work is generally split between service and repair on one hand and replacement or installation on the other.|
|Eyman primarily does boiler work for residential and light commercial. They are one of only four companies in Omaha who do boiler work and possibly the only with 4 generations of experience.|
|A hot water boiler can last virtually forever because it is a closed system. The closed loop doesn’t allow air inside the system so there is no oxidization or corrosion. They have serviced boilers that date back to 1865 and are still running strong.|
|A steam boiler used to last you about 30 to 40 years. Now it’s about 10 to 20, depending on the maintenance required. These boilers are considered heavier maintenance than hot water boilers.|
Estimates are free with Eyman, so before you get rid of your boiler, call them first at 402-731-2727. Boiler heat is comfortable because it heats everything evenly. Those who live with it won’t want to live without it.