HVAC systems for large commercial buildings are constantly being asked to regulate many different elements to keep air quality high and occupants comfortable. Air flow in a commercial building addresses three main issues:
- Moisture control. Too much or too little humidity in the air can cause serious health issues, in addition to causing equipment durability and performance problems.
- Energy savings. Even in well-insulated buildings, approximately 30 to 50 percent of space-conditioning energy consumption is due to air leakage through roofs, walls, windows, doors and the base floor system. Leakage is directly related to the building’s air pressure, which can be mitigated by HVAC.
- Comfort and health. No one works well in a room with cold drafts, hot spots, moisture condensing or excessively dry winter air. Good airflow also keeps sounds from becoming disruptive and keeps odors and gases outside.
There are 3 major factors that drive air flow in buildings, circulating and hopefully removing bad air. Now more than ever, the public is hypersensitive to air quality and its impact on health and safety.
- Exterior winds create a positive pressure on the exterior of a building, pulling air from inside through every nook and cranny.
- Open windows and doors can accelerate this, but most air barrier systems in modern buildings limit the impact. It is generally accepted that a slight positive pressure in a building is the most desirable balancing condition.
- Stack effects operate as hot air rises and cool air sinks
It’s important to ensure HVAC systems and other mechanical equipment are not creating negative air pressure, by properly supplying fresh makeup air into the building.
Today, air filtration is even more important than ever.
Eyman can help provide air quality by installing and maintaining air filtration systems that can capture up to 96% of bacteria, contaminants, and many viruses.
Eyman Plumbing Heating and Air techs can accurately measure air stratification, high indoor humidity, drafts, hot/cold spots, and high-energy usage in any building.
Our commercial HVAC experts repair and install mechanical air flow systems such as exhaust and supply fans, blowers, air handlers and ductwork systems.
We’re also experienced in high tech air purification for commercial and residential buildings.
For over 60 years, Eyman Plumbing, Heating and Air has provided trustworthy, reliable service to some of the largest and toughest commercial and industrial facilities in our community. Call (402) 731-2727 to schedule an air purification system installation today.