If you suddenly find there’s no heat in your house, what should you do? First, don’t panic. Panic never helps, but it definitely makes a situation worse.
Your first thought may be dollar signs. The replacement of your furnace or boiler can be costly, particularly if it’s a surprise. But that may not be necessary.
4 things to do before you call Eyman
- Networx.com suggests you check your thermostat and assure it’s on heat mode. “If your thermostat runs on batteries, it could be that the batteries are weak. Try changing the batteries to see if it helps.”
- Ensure you have power going to your heater. Your breaker may have been tripped. Check and reset the breaker.If the power goes out again or your heater doesn’t start back up, you may have a wiring issue.
- Check your air filter. This is one of the most common furnace problems. A dirty filter will not allow air to flow through properly.
- Is your pilot light lit? If it isn’t lit, try to relight it.If that doesn’t work, schedule a visit from a trained service professional.
2 things to leave to the professionals:
- Dirty or blocked ductwork can prevent heat from moving around your home like it should.
- If your gas burners are dirty, you may have less heat than you want.
Have a heating issue? Need some help? Call Eyman Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning today at 402-731-2727.